It’s been a while since hubby and I had a minute to ourselves. In the first year or so we were together, we were always running off somewhere, even if it was just driving around for three or four hours on some Illinois backroad where we’d never been. Lately, we keep saying “we really need to go do something together,” but money’s been tight and there’s just no time anymore. Continue reading “A small reprieve”
1) I spent almost eight hours today editing a paper. It only took two for me to remember that in three years of grad school, I burnt myself out on academic writing forever.
2) I smoked while I was trying to get the writing done because otherwise people I love were going to die. Needless to say, I now regret that decision.
3) I got sour straws in the mail and they provided all the joy and comfort that the cigarettes didn’t.
4) I cooked lovely food (see above), did four loads of laundry, and descaled the Keurig for the first time in about three months. The coffee tastes really good tonight.
5) I made myself a cup of hot chocolate this evening, and when I stopped to think about it, I realized that it was my first cup in about three years. I don’t know how that happened, but I can guarantee that it won’t happen again. #newnightlyritual
6) I learned what “No Nut November” is, and I have no intention of repeating it. But if you need a little amusement in your life, ask a teenager you know to explain it to you. Mine did quite a lot of stammering and blushing.
7) We made Thanksgiving plans this afternoon, and I am so excited!
If you were here this evening, you’d be parked next to me on the sofa, and draped with a lovely homemade afghan. I’d offer you a choice of coffees, and you’d quickly realize that mine is much less premium than my husband’s. This would no doubt cause you to raise your eyebrows, because it’s obvious in like two seconds that my sweet husband is not the high maintenance partner in our relationship. Except when it comes to coffee.
Anyway, here are a few of the things I’d probably tell you over the rim of my cup while I was fantasizing about chocolate: Continue reading “Just coffee, because everything that’s good with coffee is bad for my healthy way of eating.”
If you were here this morning, I’d tell you that despite my disgust at having no Sixlets this week, I’m nevertheless hella grateful to be drinking my second cup of coffee of the day. Yesterday we were without water for about six hours and today we’re still under a boil order, but–avid water drinker that I am–I had about four gallons pre-filtered, sitting in the Continue reading “Coffee, Something in the Air, and no damned Sixlets anywhere”
If you were here right now, I’d be happy to share my afternoon coffee and Sixlets with you. Maybe you’d have something interesting to tell me, something that might keep me awake through what have suddenly and inexplicably become the long and lulling hours of late afternoon during which I have to perpetually do things to keep myself conscious. I keep wondering if I have thyroid issues. Or maybe I need to smoke more Continue reading “Coffee and Sixlets”